"He who loves purity of heart,
and whos speech is gracious,
the King is his friend."

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

From the Inside out...

Peace...
     I think my greatest desire on the planet is to know true, resolute, unwavering, constant peace. I have been participating more and more in the Quaker Church. I am not one to say that I agree with all of the theology of the Quaker church, far from it in fact. However, there is much to be said about the simplicity, stillness, purity, and altruistic nature of the Society of Friends. There is nothing like sitting in a room with a number of other people in complete silence until the Spirit calls someone to move. Sometimes you can just sit there, still, in His presence and never say anything; for hours. That can have a resonating effect on ones heart that lasts forever.

    The thing that make Quakers so abnormal to us is not them at all, but rather simply us. For a long time I had a problem with just sitting in my room alone in silence. I couldn’t bare the silence. At one point in my life I feel like I truly understood the phrase ‘the silence was deafening.’ However, in reality, the phrase should be ‘the silence is revealing.’ That is the problem. We as human beings are so afraid to be called out that we don’t even give ourselves the chance to be heard, by ourselves. I know that doesn’t make any sense so let me explain.

    Martin Luther once wrote said ‘that it is neither good nor wise to go against ones conscience.’ Our own personal consciences are more revealing to us than even advice from our wisest friends. I think ultimately Luther knew and understood that  Jesus is our savior, God is our Father, and the Holy Spirit lives in us so that Jesus might live vicariously. That might be understood to most, but what is almost clear but cloudy is that many times our consciences could be seen as the Holy Spirit speaking to us…encouraging us to move and act according to the message of the gospel played out in our lives. Deep down inside we know the right decisions that we should make. We are just selfish, childish, and immature children that don’t want to hear the sound of our own consciences telling us what to do.

    However, it isn’t until I can get past my own conscience that I may even begin to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit encouraging to move and act in situations that have to do with something other than my own life. Once I sit in silence and truly pray, and allow the Holy Spirit to reveal me to me…act according to what I know is right…it is then that I can start living out my Father’s intended ministry in my own life.

No comments: