"He who loves purity of heart,
and whos speech is gracious,
the King is his friend."

Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Theological Astutness of "Farmer Boy"

I've been reading a book called Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder...the same woman that wrote "The Little House on the Prairie" series...she wrote something that made me really think about the way I pray...it isn't very much...but maybe it will change the world...like so many minute little things seem to do...

"When the chores were done and he came back with Father and Royal to the warm kitchen, breakfast was almost ready. How good it smelled! Mother was frying pancakes, and the big blue platter, keeping hot on the stove's hearth, was full of plump brown sausage cakes in their brown gravy...Almanzo washed as quickly as he could, and combed his hair. As soon as Mother finished straining the milk, they all sat down and Father asked the blessing for breakfast."

When I sit down for breakfast...or any meal for that matter...in my smallness that I deceive people into thinking is actually something...I always 'say the blessing' over my meal. Like my words on their own are going to accomplish something...like I can bless anything...


I hope that I learn soon that I ask my Father for everything...and apart from Him nothing is blessed...

Thank you Laura Wilder for reminding me of my Father's greatness, and my smallness...

1 comment:

_bAs said...

So the sausage and gravy didn't have any theology behind them, eh?